Special Note - Bulk items available now: Chard - $2/lb, Garlic - $1 for 3 heads, Cucumbers - $20/ 3/4 bushel box. Please let me know if you'd like to purchase any of this and we'll prepare the quantity for you to pick up when you pick up your box.
Here's the list for the week - enjoy!
This week's box weighs approx. 14 lbs.
- One large bunch of carrots - these are Sugarsnax and are very long
- Nice bunch of Lacinato (or Dino) kale
- Large bunch of chard - blue band
- 5 or 6 summer squash - combo of 8 Ball, Starship Pattypan, Cozelle, Baby Bush, Tigress, Yellow Neck and Straight Neck (yes, we have a lot of squash)
- 3 or 4 cukes - Adam or Marketmore
- one head garlic
- 2 or 3 onions
- 1 box of tomatoes (on the table)
- 1 bunch lettuce
- 1 or two sweet peppers (in the box)
- A few stalks of New Zealand Spinach - loose in the box. This is good sauteed. I cut up the stalk and all into 2" pieces and sauteed. The leaves are very tasty, the stalks are crunchy and a little bitter but are still good. Some people like to discard the stalks.
- 1 eggplant. Try making baba ganoosh (sp?) or ratatouille or eggplant parmesan. Or use in a stir fry. If you use squash or eggplant or cucumbers in either a salad or to cook with, it is recommended to salt them and let them sit in a colander for 30 minutes or so. The salt will bring out excess water and the veggies won't be as mushy in your dish.
- Possibly some spicy peppers. These will be on the table. Please be sure you know what you're taking (don't assume they're sweet).
- A box of Either - beans (a mix of Northeaster (flat and surprisingly sweet) and Kentucky Wonder), or okra or cabbage or broccoli. Okra is good sauteed with a little salt - cut into 1/3" pieces and brown. Also good with eggs.
- Herbs - Basil (lots), rosemary (some), thyme, sage, mint, tarragon, and/or lavendar
- Flowers - Probably 5 to 8 stems - check the notes. If these aren't out and you'd like some, please find me and I'll help.