If you are short on a veggie or have any requests for next week, let me know. We harvested winter squash a few weeks ago. Unfortunately there is not a lot of it due to the early hot, dry weather, followed by the extremely wet weather. And what did make it is small. I will probably have enough for everyone to have 2 squash and will start distributing them next week or so.
Today's share is still being harvested and is projected to contain:
- Lettuce - Romaine, Buttercrisp or baby salad mix
- Collards or kale - some of this is from the hoop. Those plants are huge and tender. Kale = Winterbor or Red Russian. Saturday might also include Lacinato (Dinosaur). Collards = Variegated or Champion.
- Sweet Peppers
- Spicy Peppers
- Eggplant or squash or okra or tomatillos (depending on availability). The summer squash is now done.
- Komatsuna Summerfest or choi or tat soi
- Melons - If you've already had 2 (or 1 if you're a half-share member), please leave the melons for other members (unless the board says otherwise).
- Sorrel. I used about 1 cup of this in a beef stew the other night in place of lemon zest. It wasn't quite as strong as zest but worked nicely.
- Maybe beets or carrots
- Herbs - including some cilantro that is flowering but is still good for salsa. Some might include seed pods (green coriander). Sage, Oregano, rosemary.
- U-Pick flowers - Up to 20 stems from the flower garden.