BUG INFO – Watch for bores in the turnips/root veggies (small white worms). Cut them out along with any brown spots.
NOTE: Please ignore the labels on the baggies. You should check inside to see what’s in the bag.
Your Pre-Packaged Box this week includes:
• Onions – I’m dividing up the onion stash. So, you won’t be receiving weekly onions from here on (maybe a few in the holiday box). Keep these in a cool dark place. If you want to store a large quantity of onions for a long time (months), put them in a nylon and tie a knot between each onion and hang them in a dark closet.
• Yukon Gold potatoes – about 2 pounds. This is all of this variety. As the others mature, we’ll harvest those.
• 3 summer turnips – Hakurei – This is what Johnny’s Seeds says about these turnips. The mild flavor of the roots and greens lends a nice touch to summer soups, salads and steamed or sautéed vegetables. Best when under 2” in diameter.
• 3 – 4 beets – these are Detroit Red and are thinnings from the west beet patch.
• 5 – 6 heads of garlic. This is Inchelium Red and is the only variety of the 3 that grew. It’s small but tasty. It needs to continue drying so that it doesn’t mold. I have Saturday’s share hanging in a closet from a hanger.
• A nice bunch of carrots – I’m now removing the tops – let me know if you’d like some in your box one week or if you’d like them on the table. I’m composting them now.
• 4 – 8 sweet peppers (not bagged) – may include a green, sweet banana and/or gypsy pepper
• A double amount of swiss chard
• Between 1 & 2 pounds of green and yellow wax beans (in bag)
• 6 to 8 summer squash – we suggest using these in place of cucumbers. The small ones are good sliced with salt or in a fresh salad
• A bag of salad greens which includes a few types of lettuce and Arugula
• Eggplant – a lot (maybe up to 8 small)
• About 6 or so okra
Optional/extra Items – Please take:
• Optional herbs – sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary
• Tomatoes – check the table to see how many to take - Either Brandywine (darker), Early Girl, San Marzano (roma), Amish Paste (roma) or Delicious
• Spicy peppers which may include: jalapeno, pablano (large green spicy pepper), cayenne (skinny red pepper), or mole (longer thin greenish-purple pepper – about 8” long)
• A baseball bat (large squash) /Extra summer squash
• A bouquet of flowers – calendula, snap dragons, zinnias or sunflowers
• A melon – either a cantaloupe or a watermelon, depending on what’s there