BUG INFO – There are more cabbage bugs on the collards and might be a few in the broccoli heads and kale. You might want to soak in salt water if this bothers you. FYI.
Your Pre-Packaged Box this week includes:
• Kale – about 1 lb – tied with green rubber band.
• Collards – about 1 lb – tied with red rubber band
• Swiss Chard – yellow rubber band
• Red onions – about 4
• Sugar Snap peas – a bag
• 3 - 4 Beets
• A few rutabaga – these are longer than turnips and have a really gnarly root. Also, the flesh of rutabaga is more yellow than turnip.
• A few turnips (these have more purple on top, are rounder, and have a smaller root than the rutabaga. Very white flesh compared to rutabaga)
• A small bunch of carrots – these include thinnings, or baby carrots
• 1 or 2 green peppers. I took these off the plant to help the plants grow so they’re not completely developed in terms of flavor. Let me know what you think of the taste
Optional Items – Please take:
• Lettuce – I’m going to pull this in the next few days – it’s getting bitter
• Extra beet greens
• Rutabaga greens – vegetable stock?
• Turnip greens – vegetable stock?
• Optional herbs – sage, thyme, oregano, mint, dill, rosemary, basil
• A couple of jalapenos or a cayenne pepper