Pick-Up Information – Sept 16 & 19
Please remove the potatoes from the plastic bags this evening. They won’t keep well in plastic.
BUG INFO – Watch for bores in the turnips/root veggies (small white worms). Cut them out along with any brown spots.
Please wash the tomatoes. I spread ashes on the west garden tomatoes to deter the slugs.
I wouldn’t compost the tomatoes or the kale due to possible fungi issues.
Your Pre-Packaged Box this week includes:
• A bunch of carrots – I’m now removing the tops – let me know if you’d like some in your box one week or if you’d like them on the table. I’m composting them now.
• 2 - 4 sweet peppers (not bagged) – may include a green, sweet banana and/or gypsy pepper
• A bunch of swiss chard
• 2 - 3 summer squash – we suggest using these in place of cucumbers. The small ones are good sliced with salt or in a fresh salad
• A bunch of salad greens which includes a few types of lettuce - banded
• A bunch of Arugula and mesclun salad mix - banded
• About 4 ½ pounds of potatoes. These are Kennebek (white) and some are huge.
• 3 to 4 turnips
• 3 to 4 beets
• A baggie of sugar snap peas
• 1 kohl rabi
Optional/extra Items – Please take:
• 1 squash (blue ballet) – this is a winter squash and should keep for a few months in a dry, dark location
• Optional herbs – sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, chocolate mint, chives
• About 1 pound of green beans. These got a bit large – they didn’t let me know they decided to start growing again – they’re OK though.
• A bunch of kale
• Tomatoes – check the table to see how many to take - Either Brandywine (darker), Early Girl, San Marzano (roma), Amish Paste (roma) or Delicious
• Spicy peppers which may include: jalapeno, pablano (large green spicy pepper), cayenne (skinny red pepper), or mole (longer thin greenish-purple pepper – about 8” long). If you want to pick more spicy peppers, feel free to do so.
• Extra summer squash
• A melon – either a cantaloupe or a watermelon, depending on what’s there
• Please feel free to pick your own flowers today if there aren’t any out.