BUG INFO – There aren’t too many bugs on – check the carrots for black spots at the top & cut out if they’re there. Also, there might be some dead flea beetles in the kale/collards – I sprayed with Pyrethrin a few days ago.
NOTE: Please ignore the labels on the baggies. You should check inside to see what’s in the bag.
Your Pre-Packaged Box this week includes:
• Kale – about 1 lb – tied with green rubber band.
• Collards – None for today
• One or 2 cooking onions
• A nice bunch of green onions
• A bunch of small carrots – try sautéing these in oil with some salt & a little water to steam them.
• A pound of swiss chard
• A little over a pound of green and yellow wax beans (in bag)
• A baggie of basil
• 6 -8 summer squash (cozelle (green), crook neck (yellow) and early prolific (yellow))
• About 6 cucumbers
• 1 or 2 tomatoes – Either Brandywine (darker), Early Girl, San Marzano (smaller roma), Amish Paste (large roma) or Delicious
• A bag of salad greens which includes lettuce, Arugula and beet thinnings. It’s heavy on the Arugula today.
Optional/extra Items – Please take:
• 2 or 3 sweet peppers (not bagged) – may include a green, sweet banana and/or gypsy pepper
• Some spicy peppers which may include: jalapeno, pablano (large green spicy pepper), cayenne (skinny red pepper), or mole (longer thin greenish-purple pepper – about 8” long)
• Optional herbs – sage, thyme, oregano, mint, dill, lavender
• Snap peas
• A baseball bat (large squash)
• Extra summer squash
• A bouquet of flowers – calendula, snap dragons, zinnias or sunflowers
• Possibly Little Finger Eggplant or a few Okra